As most entrepreneurs will agree, raising funds is one of the most difficult parts of scaling a company. Capital Investment Network provides entrepreneurs an opportunity to connect with angel investors, access local resources, and increase your business’ visibility.
Learn more about the Victoria ecosystem and our Pitch & Mix events below.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
Entrepreneurs are invited to apply to pitch at a CIN Pitch & Mix event if they meet the following criteria:
- Early-stage private company (Series A or earlier)
- Seeking capital and/or advisers/mentors/board members
- Dedicated to progress and excellence
- Enjoys collaborating and building lasting, mutually beneficial relationships
No, we are an angel group. Our network of accredited investors makes active investments in startup companies in Greater Victoria and abroad, all with varying interests and expertise. We connect promising entrepreneurs with angel investors at our Pitch & Mix events which can lead to individual investments, but we do not invest through Capital Investment Network directly.
There are many ways to meet angel investors, some tips we can give:
- Do Your Research – You’ll want to identify angel investors who are experts in your area of business, one way to do this is to research who has previously invested in startups that are similar to your own.
- Leverage Your Existing Network – Kindly ask your professional network for an introduction to potential angel investors if they have a connection. The tech ecosystem in Victoria is very friendly and welcoming, so a warm intro can go a long way.
- Attend Networking Events – Proactively get your business idea out there and make real life connections with potential investors. They could be speaking at an event, or attending pitch sessions, etc. Introduce yourself and your company with the goal to secure a follow-up meeting at a later date.
Apart from applying to pitch at one of our Pitch & Mix events to get networked with local angel investors and advisors, there are a variety of resources for entrepreneurs looking to leverage experienced and knowledgable professionals to help grow their startups.
VIATEC’s Accelerate Tectoria – With the simple mission to increase the number of successful technology companies that start and grow in the Greater Victoria area, Accelerate Tectoria offers a variety of structured venture development service designed to guide, coach and grow ambitious early-stage technology entrepreneurs.
Alacrity Foundation – Alacrity Canada facilitates success and economic growth in the Western Canadian technology sector by providing support and entrepreneurial mentorship to promising entrepreneurs, in addition to finding and connecting these individuals with the venture capital funding needed to develop thriving local tech companies.
In the spectrum of raising capital for your company, angel investors invest at the earliest stages of startups, so it is never too early to be networking and start having conversations. Many angels have their own criteria or preference, some willing to invest in an amazing idea still only in your head, some who wait to see progress or traction in product development, customer acquisition, or even revenue.